Three people hospitalized after hazardous gas incident at Beloit College Powerhouse

Local News

BELOIT, Wis. (WTVO) — Three people were hospitalized due to a hazardous gas incident at the Beloit College Powerhouse Wednesday, shutting down that part of the campus.

Officials with Beloit Police and Janesville Fire gave a press conference this morning, stating that around 9:25 a.m., the Powerhouse was evacuated and a portion of the riverwalk and surrounding area was shut down.

Officials said the incident involved a mixture of pool chemicals that created a hazardous gas plume.

Two people were taken to the hospital and a third self-transported, officials said. All of them are reportedly doing fine now.

The riverwalk was closed, along with Pleasant Street from White Avenue to Public Avenue, and students and staff were asked to stay inside until the situation was under control.

“As soon as we knew that there was an issue, we closed the building, evacuated all students and staff, and sent an alert to our campus community,” said Elizabeth Conlisk, Interim Chief Communications Officer at Beloit College.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories