ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — May is Military Appreciation Month, so a local organization is thanking veterans for their service.
On Friday, Heartland Hospice held a “We Honor Veterans” parade at the Siena on Brendenwood retirement home, at 4444 Brendenwood Rd.
Organizers say it was the 4th parade they’ve put together this month at stateline-area nursing homes.
Heartland staff, volunteers and veterans throughout the community have been taking part in the events.
“We have quite a few members of Vietnam to Now who’ve been participating in all of them,” said Janine Idstein, who works for Heartland Hospice. “It’s a wonderful way to collaborate with the community, to do something that brings a smile to everyone’s faces.”
Idstein says about 20 to 30 cars have been participating in each parade.
- Estep’s blast lifts Rivets to their third straight win
- Fighting fires in heat adds extra dangers for area first responders
- Future ‘Rockton Street Market’ liquor license to only include beer and wine
- Long Range Pattern Favors Warmer, Drier than Normal Conditions
- Local museums re-open doors to public