ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — After Thursday’s snow moves through, the Stateline will be thrown into a deep freeze, with temperatures Friday dropping to -8°.
According to State Farm, Illinois is the number one state in the nation for frozen pipe damage.
Last year, frozen pipes cost Illinois residents over $45 million in damage claims.
Broken pipes can also lead to future problems, like mold.
State Farm recommends insulating exposed pipes in basements or near outside walls, allow faucets to drip overnight, and keep home thermostats above 55 degrees.
- SEE IT: Simulation shows how cough can spread coronavirus in grocery stores
- ‘Despite best possible sanitation’, 2 residents test positive for COVID-19 at Rockford nursing home
- Virus prompts Cook County to open warehouse to store bodies
- Truck drivers find signs they’re not welcome while delivering the goods we need
- Wind Advisory Issued, Wind Whipped Snow Showers Possible