SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s agriculture director has resigned after acknowledging that he received, but did not act on, a lobbyist’s email seven years ago which referenced an alleged rape cover-up and illegal hiring practices.
John Sullivan said in a statement Monday that he did not read the email thoroughly at the time but said, “I accept responsibility for what was truly an unintentional oversight and the subsequent inaction.”
The July 2012 email from Michael McClain sought leniency from gubernatorial aides for a “loyal” state employee who “has kept his mouth shut on … ghost workers, the rape in Champaign and other items.”
- Prosecutor won’t act on hundreds of Portland protest arrests
- Illinois reports 1,645 new cases of coronavirus, 16 deaths
- Winnebago County recommends quarantine for travelers from 20 states, including Wisconsin
- Rockford Public Schools push back start date, make other changes
- 5-year-old shot dead at point blank range by neighbor