SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — A task force created by Gov. J.B. Pritzker recommends schools drop terms like “homecoming king” or “prom queen” in an effort to make schools “more inclusive.”
The Affirming and Inclusive Schools Task Force was created by an executive order signed by the governor in June of 2019.
Twenty-five people, who have “experience or expertise related to supporting transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming students in schools,” were selected to make up the task force, whose mission was to find strategies and best practices to make schools a welcoming, safe and supportive environment for students.
The report recommends eliminating gender-based activities, rules or traditions, “for example, replacing ‘prom king and queen’ with ‘prom royalty'”.
The report also suggests training coaches, volunteers, and event staff to remove “gendered language” from their activities.
- Unsettled and cooler pattern returns
- Chilly rain continues through Sunday evening
- Trubisky benched, Foles completes comeback in 30-26 win over Falcons
- Local yoga studio takes unique approach to relieve stress for Suicide Prevention Month
- Janesville Fire invites community to ‘Chalk the Walk’ for fire safety