OREGON, Ill. (WTVO) — An Ogle County Judge has denied a motion by 37-year-old Duane Meyer, who allegedly started a house fire which killed his ex-wife and son in 2016.
Meyer was arrested in the morning of October 9th, 2019, and charged with 4 counts of First Degree Murder, two counts of Aggravated Arson and Concealment of a Homicidal Death.
Meyer pleaded Not Guilty to all charges and is being held on a $10 million bond.
He is required to post $1 million to be released from custody.
Meyer’s next status hearing is set for November 18th.
Margaret Meyer, 31, and her 3-year-old son, Amos, were both killed in the October 19th, 2016, fire at 2020 Silverthorn Lane. Almost immediately, authorities called the fire suspicious. An investigation found that the fire started on the night of the 18th, but was not reported until the following morning.
Fire officials say the mother and boy were likely sleeping when the fire broke out. Smoke detectors did go off, but the victims weren’t able to make it out.
Margaret’s body was found in the living room, while Amos was rescued from the home by his father, but later died after being flown by medical helicopter to a Rockford hospital.
- Hononegah and Boylan ready to crank it up for another NIC-10 showdown
- Family of 3 men killed in Starved Rock explosion suing
- Rockford non-profit holds fundraiser for kids too old for Make-A-Wish
- Local environmentalists fight to save prairie at Chicago Rockford International Airport
- Drought conditions worsen across northern Illinois