ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Winnebago County jury found 23-year-old Tracy Barfield, Jr. not guilty of the murder of Marlon Pendleton in a Fairgrounds housing complex parking lot in 2017.
Prosecutors argued that Barfield Jr. shot 25-year-old Pendleton in the back, killing him on Saturday, August 26th in the 300 block of Underwood St.
On Friday, August 23rd, 2019, a jury returned a Not Guilty verdict.
On the night of Pendelton’s death, there were several other shootings which Rockford Police at the time said they believed were connected.
Three hours after Pendelton was killed, 25-year-old Tyrell Dorsey was shot and killed in the 300 block of Royal Avenue.
About an hour later, three more people were shot in the 4100 block of Auburn Street.
Police said they believed all the incidents to be related and the victims, targeted.
Barfield is not charged in any of the other slayings.
- Trump cuts US ties with World Health Organization
- Police, experts condemn knee restraint used on George Floyd
- UW Whitewater plans for return of students to campus this fall
- LIVE: Gov. Pritzker holds daily Illinois coronavirus briefing for Friday, May 29th
- Fired police officer Derek Chauvin charged with murder in George Floyd’s death