CHICAGO, Ill. (WTVO) — At Friday’s coronavirus press conference, Illinois Department of Public Health Department Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike broke down in tears while giving today’s COVID-19 death totals.
Ezike had to step away from the podium for a moment to compose herself before resuming the briefing.
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker said the state’s infection rate is up 17% over a week ago, and said again that residents should follow the guidelines to bring the testing positivity rates down.
Pritzker warned that behavior to mitigate the spread of the virus now will affect how many people are hospitalized 8 days from now, on Halloween.
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) today reported 3,874 new confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Illinois, including 31 additional deaths.
– Adams County: 1 female 70s
– Christian County: 1 male 40s, 1 female 80s
– Clark County: 1 female 80s
– Clinton County: 1 male 90s
– Cook County: 1 male 30s, 1 female 90s
– DeWitt County: 1 female 70s
– Jefferson County: 1 male 60s
– Kane County: 1 female 70s
– Kankakee County: 1 male 60s
– Lake County: 1 female 70s
– LaSalle County: 2 females 90s
– Macon County: 1 male 70s, 1 male 80s
– Madison County: 1 female 80s
– McLean County: 1 female 80s, 1 male 80s, 1 female 90s
– Rock Island County: 1 male 90s
– Sangamon County: 1 male 70s
– Shelby County: 1 female 70s
– St. Clair County: 1 male 80s
– Tazewell County: 1 male 80s
– Vermilion County: 2 males 70s
– Warren County: 1 male 90s
– White County: 1 male 70s, 1 male 90s
– Will County: 1 female 70s
Currently, IDPH is reporting a total of 364,033 cases, including 9,418 deaths, in 102 counties in Illinois. The age of cases ranges from younger than one to older than 100 years. The preliminary seven-day statewide positivity for cases as a percent of total test from October 16 – October 22 is 5.6%. Within the past 24 hours, laboratories have reported 82,256 specimens for a total of 7,113,338. As of last night, 2,498 people in Illinois were reported to be in the hospital with COVID-19. Of those, 511 patients were in the ICU and 197 patients with COVID-19 were on ventilators.
Fifty-one counties are currently reported at a warning level – Adams, Bond, Boone, Carroll, Cass, Christian, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, DeKalb, Douglas, Edwards, Fayette, Ford, Franklin, Gallatin, Greene, Hamilton, Henderson, Jersey, Jo Daviess, Johnson, Kane, Kendall, Knox, LaSalle, Lee, Macon, Macoupin, McDonough, McHenry, Mercer, Morgan, Moultrie, Ogle, Perry, Pike, Pulaski, Rock Island, Saline, Shelby, Stephenson, Union, Vermilion, Wabash, Warren, Wayne, Whiteside, Will, Williamson, and Winnebago.
Region 1’s 7-day rolling positivity average: 11.7% (11.9 yesterday)
Boone: 14.1% (15.9 yesterday)
Carroll: 10.7% (10.6 yesterday)
DeKalb: 9.2% (9.3 yesterday)
Jo Daviess: 10.4% (10.4 yesterday)
Lee: 10.9% (11.5 yesterday)
Ogle: 10.1% (10.2 yesterday)
Stephenson: 10% (9.1 yesterday)
Whiteside: 11.6% (11.9 yesterday)
Winnebago: 13% (13 yesterday)