ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police Chief Dan O’Shea, along with Winnebago County State’s Attorney Marilyn Hite Ross, gave an update Friday on the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old boy yesterday.
The 3-year-old died after being shot in the 800 block of N. Court street.
Rockford Police say the shooting happened around 11:30 a.m. The boy was inside the apartment and was shot in the head, police said. He was taken to the hospital and later succumbed to his injuries.
Several bullet holes could be seen in an exterior wall.
O’Shea said there was no evidence of a drive by shooting, and there was no ongoing danger to the public.
Hite Ross said 25-year-old Octtayges Shanklin was one of the people inside the house, and he was arrested on weapons charges for an offense earlier in the week and not related to the shooting of the boy, she said.
Shanklin is charged with Felon in Possession of a Firearm, No FOID, Retail Theft, Obstructing Identification and several other traffic offenses.
- Rockford police investigate overnight fatal shooting; one person dead
- Temperatures tumble Friday morning
- Winnebago County nursing home to accept residents from other counties
- Man behind murder at Machesney Park bar found guilty by jury
- Strong thunderstorms and heavy rain possible for some Thursday night