ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford police are warning residents of a number of potential scams in the area.
One of the main ones includes fake charities. Authorities say you should never give donations via cash, wiring money, or by sending gift cards.
Another popular scam has fraudsters calling to claim someone you know is in the hospital. Scammers will then reportedly ask that money is sent immediately to help the victim.
Lately, Rockford Police say that fake utility workers say they need to check the people’s homes. As the criminal distracts the homeowner, others enter the front of the house and steal valuables.
Investigators say if you have not requested service work, do not answer your door.
- Science kits allow kids to experiment from home
- No WiFi at home? One Virginia school district has a creative solution for students
- Which face masks are most effective?
- Independent consultant to review evidence in Wisconsin police shooting of Jacob Blake
- Rockford Park District explains changes in new proposal