ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) ─ Table tennis lovers show off their skills in hope of being crowned champion.
The Rockford Area Convention and Visitors Bureau hosted night three of the RKFD Loop Tournament Thursday night at Olympic Tavern, 2327 N. Main St..
The event is meant to build support for the 2019 International Table Tennis Federation North American Olympic Table Tennis Trials. The trials will be held at the BMO Harris Bank center in Rockford on October 5th. It is the first time the Forest City has hosted an Olympic Trials event.
“Whether we’re talking table tennis, ultimate frisbee, rugby, some of the more counter culture type sport, niche sports,” said Nick Povalitis, Director of Sports Development with Rockford Area Visitors & Convention Bureau. “We’re trying to bring those into the community to elevate the participation rates for those sports, but to give people more opportunity to partake in a sports tourism event.”
Finalist will play in the semifinals and finals at the BMO Harris Bank Center during the trials. The 2019 RKFD Loop Rec-Pong Champion will receive a trophy and other surprises.
Thursday, September 26th is the last chance to qualify. District Bar and Grill, 205 W. State St., will host the event. Play begins at 7 p.m.
- VIDEO: Texas man sprays woman with water during Black Lives Matter argument with neighbor
- Man arrested in Oregon sentenced to 60 months in prison for re-entering US after being deported
- Illinois reports highest single-day record with 4,942 new COVID-19 cases Thursday
- Illinois starts planning for COVID-19 vaccine as cases surge
- The final Biden-Trump presidential debate: What to know, how to watch