BELVIDERE, Ill. (WTVO) — Boone County Sheriff’s Detectives arrested 69-year-old Jeffrey Smith, of Downer’s Grove, on multiple child sex offenses on Wednesday.
Police say they received a report that Smith had sexually assaulted a child under the age of 13 between the years of 2002 and 2019.
Smith was charged with Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault of a Child, and Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse.
Boone County Sheriff’s Detectives say the case is still under investigation and more charges are likely.
Smith is being held in the Boone County Jail on a $1 million bond.
- Kyle Slattery leads Rockford area pros in day one of the Illinois Open
- 15 arrested in California child sex sting – including highway patrol officer, prison employee
- Undocumented migrant injured after falling from 30-foot-tall border barrier
- 3 Wyoming sightseeing balloons crash, as many as 20 injured
- Woman says 4-foot snake ‘slithered up’ from toilet in Colorado apartment