ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Eli Casinelli, 35, was arrested Sunday after allegedly beating a police officer with a pole during a protest which turned violent at the Rockford Police’s District 1 headquarters on Saturday.
Police say officers were dispersing a “large and unruly” crowd in front of the headquarters, at 1045 W. State Street around 7:50 p.m. when Cassinelli began attacking an officer with a large wooden pole.
The officer was using a riot shield to defend himself, but Casinelli was able to deliver several blows to his head, police said.
He was arrested and taken into custody, and charged with Aggravated Battery to a Police Officer, and Aggravated Battery.
- Rivets held to one hit on an opening night loss to the La Crosse Loggers
- Health officials hope people are thoughtful about virus risks ahead of July 4th weekend
- Tips for AC units that could save you big time
- Frequent bus passenger buys ice cream for RMTD workers
- Rockford Art Museum to re-open on Monday