CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill. (AP) – A man who barricaded himself in a suburban Chicago apartment and threatened officers with a knife before surrendering has been charged with several felonies, including sexual assault and child pornography.
Crystal Lake Police said Matthew R. Reder, 24, of McHenry, was arrested after a standoff Friday night that lasted several hours before he walked out of residence.
Officers had gone to the home in response to a burglary in progress when they were confronted by Reder, who threatened them before retreating to a bathroom of the apartment.
After hours talking to police negotiators, Reder gave himself up and was booked into McHenry County Jail.
He faces several charges, the most serious of which are predatory criminal sexual assault, production of child pornography and possession of child pornography.
He is also faces a felony drug charge and several misdemeanor charges, including obstructing a peace officer and criminal trespass to a residence.
Crystal Lake Police have not detailed the reasons for the charges or said when the crimes were allegedly committed, but they said the arrest stems from arrest warrants in McHenry County and DuPage County.
Police said more charges are expected to be added.
- Senate passes $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill
- Football coach Les Miles placed on leave amid misconduct allegations at LSU
- Poet Amanda Gorman said she was targeted by security guard: ‘One day an icon, the next a threat’
- Biden becomes 1st executive in 4 decades to not have formal question-and-answer session
- After 2 recent deaths, why are people still doing extreme baby gender reveals?
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.