ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO)–Multiple people are displaced after a small fire occurred in a 4-family apartment building on Sunday night.
At approximately 9:30 p.m., Rockford fire crews responded to the incident at 2236 S. 6th St. They said one tenant heard the smoke detectors go off and saw flames in the basement before escaping the building with her child.
All the other tenants evacuated their apartments safely. Firefighters also rescued multiple cats from the building as they extinguished the fire.
Officials say the contacted Red Cross to help provide assistance and relocation services to the occupants.
Property damages amount to $20,000.
The cause is still under investigation.
- Mom says 10-year-old son badly hurt by explosive disguised as Christmas ornament
- New Illinois coronavirus restrictions for Region 1 begin Saturday
- Louisiana man accused of hiding in Florida 15-year-old’s bedroom, having sex since August
- Missouri man charged with killing wife after 4 prior domestic reports
- Former ComEd VP pleads guilty to bribery charges in Madigan investigation