POPLAR GROVE, Ill. (WTVO) — Boone County Sheriff’s Deputies were dispatched to the 400 block of West Edson Street, around 2:50 p.m. Saturday, September 7th, for reports of a possible suicidal subject.
The subject was very uncooperative, deputies said.
According to authorities, the subject threatened and pointed a rifle multiple times at the deputies.
Police were able to secure the area and a team of negotiators from the Boone County Sheriff’s Office and Belvidere Police Department were able to negotiate with the subject.
The team of negotiators spoke with the subject for over seven and a half hours. Officials said at one point during the negotiation the subject did fire one shot.
According to authorities, around 10:45 p.m. the subject surrendered and was taken into custody by the Belvidere SWAT team.
The subject was later transported to Mercy Hospital for a medical evaluation.
Boone County Sheriff’s Detectives executed a search warrant at the subject’s residence and recovered two rifles and a handgun.
The Boone County Sheriff’s Office will continue to investigate the case, and no injuries were sustained during this incident.
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Iowa teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- Boone County Sheriff’s Department says farewell to fallen K9 Loki