DirecTV

One person hospitalized in chemical hazard at Rock County court house

Local News

JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — A chemical incident occurred Friday, July 19th at Rock County Courthouse sending one to the local hospital.

A Facilities Management worker was mixing chemicals to treat water for the Courthouse’s air cooling system, which created a dangerous chemical cloud, police said.

The building’s fire alarm system was activated, and officials shut down the air handling system to prevent further exposure.

Fire and Law Enforcement personnel worked together to evacuate the building, and Janseville Fire Department HAZMAT team was sent to the scene.

One employee that was exposed to the chemical cloud was transported to a local hospital, officials said, as well as a Rock County Sheriff’s Office Deputy who was treated at the scene and later released.

Around 9:30 a.m. County Board Chair, Russ Podzilni, shutdown the Courthouse for the day.

At this time, units remain on the scene actively involved in the HAZMAT clean up.

MORE HEADLINES:

For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android) and subscribe with Alexa.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Made in the Stateline

More Made in the Stateline

Education Matters

More Education Matters

Behind the Badge

More Behind the Badge

Stateline Strong

More Stateline Strong

Trending Stories