ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A cutting-edge, lab-manufactured antibody treatment has been approved for treating COVID-19 patients in Rockford. OSF, Mercyhealth, and SwedishAmerican are all using the treatment.
According to doctors at OSF Saint Anthony, the monoclonal immunotherapy infusion has been approved for high-risk, adult COVID patients with moderate symptoms.
Medical experts say the treatment is most effective when administered within the first 10 days of symptoms.
“We can’t afford for our hospitals to fill up with COVID because then we can’t take care of other people,” said OSF’s vice president of physician services, Mark Meeker. “I am really hopeful that this antibody indeed lowers the progression of disease in this high risk population so we can keep our hospitals out of full capacity.”
Physicians say the infusion has not been approved for hospitalized COVID patients.
- IceHogs ready to speed into their season while navigating COVID protocols
- Kenny Strawbridge’s heroic hoop leads to conference award
- Pot taxes to fund violence prevention, prisoner re-entry programs
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- One month after Don Carter Lanes shooting, 14-year-old survivor hopes to use his story to help others