ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The owner of the home on Lapey Street in Rockford that exploded Tuesday night speaks out. The natural gas blast left one man dead and two others critically hurt.
Rockford Fire officials worked through the night cleaning up debris and investigating what caused the explosion.
The owner of the home says the incident comes as a shock as one of the tenants lived in the home for two decades.
“I couldn’t believe it. I was in awe, shock, just came down to try and see what was there happening…Good people lived here. That’s all I can say, they were working class people, very good people, lived here a long time.,” said homeowner Kirk Williams.
The Red Cross is helping residents in the neighborhood impacted by the explosion.
- Hononegah, Auburn Boys finish top-five at Regionals
- Guilford’s Gasmund comes from behind, captures Regional victory
- Residents react to massive fire at abandoned factory in Rockford
- Rockford mayor says bars and restaurants will be given 50% rebate of liquor license fees
- Local expert shares how to keep kids safe from predators online