ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Three people were killed and a suspect is in custody after a shooting at the Don Carter Lanes bowling alley around 6:55 p.m. on Saturday.
According to Rockford Police Chief Dan O’Shea, an additional three people were wounded in a shooting that took place both inside and outside the facility, located at 4007 E State Street.
O’Shea said teenagers were among the victims, but did not give further details.
According to O’Shea, the suspect, described as a 37-year-old white male, was in the building when police arrived, but he said he didn’t believe that officers fired their weapons while taking the suspect into custody.
Police believe the shooting was a random attack.
Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara released the folloiwng statement: “I’m angered and saddened by the violence tonight at Don Carter Lanes. My thoughts are with the families of those who lost loved ones. I’m also thinking of those who were injured and my hopes are with them for a quick and full recovery. I appreciate all of our first responders who quickly and heroically arrived to secure the scene.
“Our investigators have much work ahead of them to determine exactly what happened and who was responsible. Please give the police the space they need to investigate this event and keep all in your prayers.”
- Slushy snow accumulations possible by early morning
- Byron’s three-point shooting propels win over Sycamore
- Former NYT columnist Bari Weiss releases ‘Twitter Files Part Two’
- Major animal poaching ring busted by CA Fish and Wildlife
- Private school defends dean after Project Veritas claims sex toys shown in class discussion