ROCKFORD, Ill.. (WTVO) — Rockford Police say a suspect, who killed one person and wounded two others in a shooting at a Super 8 Motel near E. State Street, has killed himself after a nearly six hour standoff.
Rockford Police Chief Dan O’Shea said police were called to the motel at 12:40 a.m. for the shooting, and then exchanged gunfire with the suspect, who barricaded himself in a room.
On the initial scanner call, police could be heard reporting bursts of gunfire inside the building.
One victim, a man, died at the scene and two women were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries, O’Shea said. The Winnebago County Coroner said the victim was a 19-year-old male and was pronounced dead at 1:18 a.m.
Shortly before 6:30 a.m, police made a forced entry into the barricaded room, where they found the suspect dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The Winnebago County Coroner pronounced the man dead at 7:50 a.m.
O’Shea said he did not believe the suspect was from Rockford, and that the shooting was the result of a prior domestic dispute.
Police say the occupants of the hotel were evacuated.
The Super 8 Motel is located at 7646 Colosseum Dr.
- Coroner: Body found in Rock River identified as missing Janesville girl
- Shedd Aquarium reopens Friday with new safety precautions in place
- NFL to play Black anthem before national anthem Week 1
- Herman Cain hospitalized with COVID-19 after attending Trump rally
- Woman charged with helping Illinois man murder missing Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen