SOUTH BELOIT, Ill. (WTVO) — Police say 18-year-old Mekel Gordon attempted to rob a Mobil gas station with a BB gun.
According to the South Beloit Police Department, officers were called to the gas station at 810 Blackhawk Boulevard at 11 p.m. on Wednesday.
Employees said they spotted a suspect on the surveillance camera as he was hiding outside the business. They told police they locked the doors, at which time the suspect fled the scene.
Police officers spotted Gordon allegedly wearing a ski mask in the area of Hayes Avenue and Glenwood. Police also said he was holding an open backpack, which contained a BB gun.
Officials said Gordon admitted to going to the Mobil to rob the business, but got scared and left.
He was charged with Attempted Armed Robbery and was taken to the Winnebago County Jail.
- Illinois reports 10,959 new cases of COVID-19, 192 deaths Thursday
- Second stimulus checks: McConnell says ‘compromise is within reach’
- Tiger nearly tears off volunteer’s arm at Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Carole Baskin says
- Walmart announces 4th round of cash bonuses for employees
- ‘COVID slide’: How parents can help children struggling with remote learning