ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Next Thursday, children will haunt the streets of local neighborhoods in search of Halloween treats.
Police warn parents to stay vigilant and do their research to discover if any registered sex offenders live nearby.
Peoria County Sheriff Brian Asbell say the best way to keep children safe is to talk to them.
“Having those conversations, I mean, it’s all about safety,” he said. “As a parent, you want your kid to come home safe there, every night, and you gotta have these talks.”
Illinois State Police have an interactive map that shows where registered sex offenders live.
Under Illinois law, sex offenders are not allowed to participate in trick or treating.
- Big Cooldown to Follow Warm Stretch
- House catches fire from nearby fire pit
- Local organization spends Saturday fixing up YMCA
- Stateline bikers raise money for grieving family
- E-Rabs nab victory in District 205 Cup