ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Around 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, CherryVale Mall in Rockford began experiencing a power outage.
Cherry Valley Chief of Police Roy Bethge issued a statement after false social media reports surfaced claiming there was an active shooter at the mall.
“Due to a power outage at Cherry Vale Mall, the fire alarms activated causing an automatic message to alert people to leave the mall. Contrary to social media reports, there is/was NOT an active shooter or other threat taking place.”
ComEd is working to restore power to the area.
- Jeremy Lin says he has been called ‘coronavirus’ on NBA court, shares heartfelt message
- Beloit PD investigate after 20-year-old shooting victim arrives at emergency room
- Oil company mistakenly delivers 100+ gallons to wrong address, flooding the basement
- Local basketball referees get limo ride to game
- ‘Overtime’: Talking Hononegah girls hoops with Jason Brunke