ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The American Red Cross is asking for donations of Type O blood as it faces a shortage.
Type O blood is also known as universal donor blood, as it can help any patient.
The Red Cross urges people of all blood types to make potentially life-saving donations.
According to the organization, a bad flu season and winter weather contributed to the shortage.
Donors are urged to make an appointment to give blood now using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo enabled device.
- Rockford Police investigate Auburn St. shooting
- Rockford teens charged after police find loaded gun in car
- After disaster declaration, Ogle County officials say storm damage is like nothing they’ve ever seen
- Rockford house fire possibly caused by severe weather, officials say
- VP Pence tweets “America needs College Football”