ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Rockford church is opening its doors to people who need to escape the heat.
SecondFirst Church located at 318 N. Church Street in Rockford, will act as a cooling center. It will be open every day from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The pandemic has caused many places to close or cut back on how many people can come inside. Several agencies came together to make sure people in Rockford have a place to cool off.
“As with most churches, our buildings-although our churches are very active our buildings are pretty empty so for us to be able to jump in and respond when the health department says there’s a need we’re really grateful to be able to provide this to the community,” explained SecondFirst Pastor Rebecca White Newgren.
To find other cooling centers near you, click here.
- Winnebago County removed from COVID warning list
- Walmart extending closing time to 10 p.m. at most stores
- Plane overshoots runway in Rockford, lands on car near Auburn High School
- IDPH announces 2,264 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, 25 additional deaths on Friday
- Two Rockford men arrested following narcotics investigation