ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Government officials in Rockford are sending a warning to local communities about criminals trying to use the economic stimulus checks to scam you.
Rockford City Hall says the official term is “economic impact payment” while scammers may say things like “stimulus check” or “stimulus payment.”
Experts say if you receive any type of communication claiming to be from the IRS or US Treasury offering money in exchange for personal information, do not respond.
The government will never call to ask for social security, credit card, or bank account numbers.
- Mom says 10-year-old son badly hurt by explosive disguised as Christmas ornament
- New Illinois coronavirus restrictions for Region 1 begin Saturday
- Louisiana man accused of hiding in Florida 15-year-old’s bedroom, having sex since August
- Missouri man charged with killing wife after 4 prior domestic reports
- Former ComEd VP pleads guilty to bribery charges in Madigan investigation