ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Winnebago County Court Records show Rockford Police Officer, Daniel Basile, had two orders of protection filed against him earlier this year.
The first was on August 27th and the second was filed last Tuesday, days after a victim accused Basile of sexual assault.
According to the City of Rockford’s website, any officer who is the subject of an order of protection has to report it to their supervisor.
Rockford Police have declined comment on whether or not the order of protection was reported, and if Basile was still on the job.
Retired Circuit Court Judge Rosemary Collins said that there is not a system that exists for the court that notifies the police department if any officer faces any sort of legal action.
“That’s part of our ethical code. What a judge has to do is make all of its discussions about a case in an open court with the parties present,” Collins said. “There’s no mechanism for the court to notify anybody about an issuance of an order of protection or an emergency order.”
Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara released a statement about the sexual assault allegations.
McNamara said “I’m angry and disappointed that one of our officers, Daniel Basile, has been charged with a criminal sexual assault…the seriousness of these allegations shows that no one is above the law…even members of law enforcement.”
- Rockford police announce arrests after robberies, several shootings over the weekend
- Rockford Rivets hopeful of resuming their season on Thursday
- Local financial expert shares tips for college students
- Fallen Rockford detective remembered 19 years later
- Annual Sturgis rally in expecting 250K, stirring virus concerns