Rockford family left homeless after Kilburn Avenue fire

Local News

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Rockford family is without a home after a Wednesday evening fire.

Fire crews were called to 2211 Kilburn Avenue around 5:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived to the scene within three minutes and reported light smoke and fire visible from the back of the house. The fire was located in a concealed space on the second floor of the home, and was reportedly extinguished quickly.

Investigators said that the homeowners were alerted by a working smoke alarm, which allowed them and their two cats to get out safely before the fire department arrived. No one was hurt.

Damage to the house is estimated at $25,000, and it is currently unlivable. The Red Cross is helping the family with a place to stay. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental after an investigation.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories