Rockford Fire, HAZMAT evacuate apartment complex due to ‘suspicious odor’

Local News

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — An apartment complex was evacuated Monday morning after residents complained of a suspicious odor.

Rockford Fire and HAZMAT teams evacuated residents from the building, located in the 900 block of Haskell Avenue, at 11:38 a.m.

Officials blocked off the street at the Whitman intersection.

Residents said the odor was coming from the third floor, which is occupied by only one tenant.

A woman who lives in the apartment told our reporter the odor caused a burning sensation in her lungs and caused another resident to vomit.

Rockford Fire officials said they conducted an air test and also tested a suspicious substance, but nothing toxic was discovered.

Residents were re-admitted to the complex at 2:13 p.m.



For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android).

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories