ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Rockford man tries to flee officers while driving intoxicated in an alleged stolen vehicle.
According to authorities, on Thursday, November 28th around 4:20 a.m. Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy attempted to stop a suspected DUI driver near Business Route 20 and Distillery Road.
Officials said that initially the vehicle stopped but then fled eastbound at a high rate of speed towards Belvidere.
26-year-old Jabari McIntrye allegedly stole the vehicle he was driving from Rockford and possessed an automatic handgun, police said.
The pursuit continued through Belvidere, rural Boone County and into Winnebago County.
A Winnebago County Sheriff’s Deputy was able to deploy Stop Sticks to disable the fleeing vehicle near Perryville and Walton in Rockford, police said.
According to authorities, the vehicle continued to flee on multiple flat tires.
McIntrye was finally taken into custody after he had struck a Belvidere Police Squad car and a tree in the area of Midway Village.
He was transported to St. Anthony’s Hospital by Rockford Fire with minor injuries.
Officials said a 9 mm handgun was recovered in the vehicle.
McIntrye is charged with Aggravated Driving under the Influence, Aggravated Fleeing to Elude a Police Officer, Unlawful Use of a Weapon and multiple traffic offenses.
McIntrye is lodged in Boone County Jail, and is being held without bond officials said.
- CDC advises parents to look out for polio-like condition in children
- State prison turns away Logan County inmates infected with COVID-19
- Twin YouTube stars charged after Uber driver held at gunpoint during fake bank robbery
- Rivets ready to resume their season with a new-look roster stocked with local guys
- Local board looking to improve mental health access for teens