Rockford man, injured in crash, leaves ER, dies the next day

Local News

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A man died after reportedly leaving the ER against doctors’ advice, after suffering injuries in a crash at a Rockford roundabout.

The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office said Brady Erickson, 41, was involved in a single-vehicle crash at the roundabout at Kishwaukee Street and Airport Drive on Tuesday, October 5th.

Erickson was taken to the hospital but later left the emergency room despite doctors’ wishes, the coroner said.

On Wednesday, October 6th, Rockford Police were called out after Erickson was reportedly going around, knocking on doors of residents in the area. He was found unresponsive in a yard, the coroner reported.

Erickson was transported to a hospital where he died.

The coroner listed the cause of death as blunt trauma to the chest suffered during the crash.

The death is under investigation by the Rockford Police Department and the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office.

Erickson’s sister, Rochelle Weissinger, said she is confused and heartbroken over her brother’s death.

“It’s just still really unreal,” Weissinger said. “We’re over here asking questions, ourselves. We don’t have anything.”

Erickson’s mother, Julie, said her son didn’t like hospitals but said she wants to know how he ended up where he did.

“We’re just trying to figure out what really happened. Did he fly out of the car? Hit the steering wheel?” she said.

Rochelle said her brother will be missed. “He was very caring, loving. He would do anything for anybody. He’s funny. He’s definitely comical. He would give you the shirt off his back.”

Police have not released any further details about the incident.

Erickson’s family says they will hold a celebration of his life on November 7th in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and have set up a GoFundMe to bring his body home.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories