ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The battle is on between Rockford Police and Rockford Fire as they face off during the Salvation Army’s “Battle of the Bells.”
First responders were ringing bells for the annual fundraiser at the Rockford Walmarts on Northridge and Riverside.
Each department hoped to gather the most donations during a four hour window on Friday.
All of the money goes to the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign.
Operations Division Chief Michele Pankow says the friendly competition is fun, but its about giving back.
“It’s important for people to get involved all year long. Obviously, Salvation Army contributes to local causes and I feel that contributing back to our community is extremely important, especially this time of year,” Pankow said.
Police won last year. Today’s totals will be announced soon.
- Madison man arrested for 5th DUI
- 2 cheetah cubs born using surrogate mother at Ohio zoo
- Judge denies dismissal of Rockford man’s murder trial
- It’s sweet and savory, but would you eat it? KFC’s Chicken & Donut Sandwich
- Auto mechanics warn of technicians shortage as younger people shy away from the industry