ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police say 18-year-old Trenton Higgins was arrested Saturday for beating and burning a 21-month-old child, who was not breathing when police arrived.
Police say they were called to a local hospital around 7 p.m. Saturday where the child was said to be not breathing, suffering multiple life-threatening injuries, including bruises and burns.
Authorities say Higgins was in a relationship with the child’s mother. The abuse allegedly occurred at a home in the 200 block of Guard Street.
Higgins was identified as the suspect in the case, and police took him into custody at the hospital.
He was charged with Aggravated Battery to a Child.
The baby is said to be in critical condition.
“I’m sickened and disgusted by this tragedy,” said Chief Dan O’Shea. “It’s incomprehensible how anyone can commit acts like this against a child.”
Higgins was taken to the Winnebago County Jail and is being held on a $1 million bond.
- Vaccine laggard Japan steps up shots with company efforts
- Southwest Airlines flights disrupted for 2nd straight day over tech issues
- New Bears stadium remains possibility as Arlington Park proposal deadline arrives
- Cherry Valley bans residents from watering lawns, citing water shortage
- Impacted by Chemtool fire? Here are some available resources