ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — 19-year-old Matthew Cavender was sentenced to 18 years in prison Thursday for killing Desiree Weir-Stephens in 2018.
Police say Cavender shot and killed Weir-Stephens outside her home on Royal Avenue. She died from a gunshot wound to the head.
He was convicted on a Second Degree Murder charge.
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article stated that Cavender walked up to the victim and shot her in the head. This is incorrect. We apologize for this error.
- Protestors, police clash again at Rockford City Market
- Man taken to hospital after motorcycle crash in Rockford
- One person shot at Rockford bar
- Winnebago Co. school administrators address back to school plans
- Overwhelming response to boy’s search for a family, ‘I hope one of y’all pick me’