ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Salvation Army kicked off it’s 51st annual Food for the Needy drive at Lincoln Middle School on Monday.
The organization says it chose Lincoln because students there donated the most canned food in the entire Rockford School District last year, receiving the “Golden Can” award for their efforts.
Organizers say they hope the students’ actions will inspire others to donate.
“You probably know that there are people that are in need, that don’t have as much as you do,” said Lincoln Principal Kirsten Garrigan. “So, why not bring something simple so people can have a nice holiday season?”
The Salvation Army hopes to receive enough food donations to feed 3,500 hungry families.
Donations are accepted at any of the Salvation Army’s Rockford locations.
- Local financial expert shares tips for college students
- Fallen Rockford detective remembered 19 years later
- Annual Sturgis rally in expecting 250K, stirring virus concerns
- Miss Carly’s and staff gets a well deserved makeover!
- Rock’n Vodka has some Rock n Roll fans