ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D) was the recipient of the Jane Addams Medal for Distinguished Service at Rockford University on Friday.
The medal is given out to pioneers in their professions with outstanding character, who are recognized for their contributions to the arts, science and society, the college said.
“If I can be a role model for girls and boys, I think that’s a real honor,” Duckworth said. “I hope that my daughters grow up in a country where they have a lot to look up to, and role models of all different shapes, sizes and backgrounds.”
Sen. Duckworth is the 38th recipient of the medal.
- The Big Ten sets a new nine-game football schedule for teams in 2020
- ‘Let us play!’: Illinois prep players rally for fall sports
- Two people injured after crash near N. Alpine and Pepper Drive
- A strike by hundreds of nurses ended Saturday at University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago.
- Trump’s list of possible Supreme Court nominees