ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Residents looking to buy gifts for the holidays should shop smarter to save money, according to local financial experts.
They say people should budget for more than just presents, but also travel, parties and decorations.
Experts say that looking at past years could save consumers money, too.
“Most online banking systems through banking will allow you to review your previous spending for last year,” said J.T. Quillen, of Northwest Bank. “Maybe putting that into a spreadsheet and pulling it right from your online banking, separating out transactions that were for holiday spending last year and really give you a good estimate for this year.”
According to experts, paying with cash and putting aside money each month to use for gifts are other ways to keep out-of-pocket costs down during the holidays.
- Coroner: Body found in Rock River identified as missing Janesville girl
- Shedd Aquarium reopens Friday with new safety precautions in place
- NFL to play Black anthem before national anthem Week 1
- Herman Cain hospitalized with COVID-19 after attending Trump rally
- Woman charged with helping Illinois man murder missing Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen