ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Residents looking to buy gifts for the holidays should shop smarter to save money, according to local financial experts.
They say people should budget for more than just presents, but also travel, parties and decorations.
Experts say that looking at past years could save consumers money, too.
“Most online banking systems through banking will allow you to review your previous spending for last year,” said J.T. Quillen, of Northwest Bank. “Maybe putting that into a spreadsheet and pulling it right from your online banking, separating out transactions that were for holiday spending last year and really give you a good estimate for this year.”
According to experts, paying with cash and putting aside money each month to use for gifts are other ways to keep out-of-pocket costs down during the holidays.
- Murray throws for 2 TDs, runs for 2 as Cardinals beat Bears
- Lost children, friends eaten by wild beasts: New book captures plight of U.S.-bound migrants
- Trump calls top US general a ‘f—— idiot’ during speech at Mar-a-Lago
- These new U.S. travel restrictions begin Monday
- Fauci says early reports encouraging about omicron variant