SCHAUMBURG, Ill. (WTVO) — Schaumburg Police are looking into the possibility that a medical issue may have caused a driver to plow into Woodfield Mall Friday afternoon.
Investigators wouldn’t elaborate. The incident happened just before 2:30pm. An SUV plowed through a Sears entrance and drove through the mall.
WARNING: Video below contains profanity.
Video captured inside showed the car crashing into kiosks and windows. The driver didn’t actually hit anyone. However, three people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.
No charges have been issued yet. Police also say there’s no indication this was a terror attack and the driver acted alone.
“The mall has been a safe place,” said Schaumburg Police Chief Bill Wolf. “It’s one of the safest malls in the area and it’ll continue to be a safe place to be.”
Chief Wolf also mentioned the suspect is from the northwest suburbs and that his department has never interacted with him before.
A building inspector also determined there’s no structural damage to the mall. It’ll reopen Saturday morning.
- Science kits allow kids to experiment from home
- No WiFi at home? One Virginia school district has a creative solution for students
- Which face masks are most effective?
- Independent consultant to review evidence in Wisconsin police shooting of Jacob Blake
- Rockford Park District explains changes in new proposal