DirecTV

Suspects charged in cutting baby from Chicago woman’s womb plead Not Guilty to murder

Local News

CHICAGO, Ill. (WTVO) — The three people charged with killing a pregnant Chicago teen and removing her baby appeared in court Wednesday. All three pleaded Not Guilty to the charges against them.

Clarissa Figeroa, 46, and her daughter, Desiree, 24, face charges of First Degree Murder.

Clarissa’s boyfriend, Piotr Bobak, 40, is charged with concealing the killing.

In April, police say the women lured 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez to a home, killed her, and then cut her unborn baby from her womb.

The little boy died earlier this month.

The defense lawyer filed a gag order to prevent the swaying of the jury in the highly publicized case.

Supporters of Ochoa-Lopez and her family said they are outraged by the defense’s motion.

“To enter a motion to place a gag order on our freedom of speech,” said Julie Contreras, of the League of United Latin-American Citizens. “I am not a politician. I am not an attorney. I am an ordinary citizen who stands up for the civil rights of those in crisis.”

Prosecutors have not charged the women with murder for the death of the newborn, but police say they expect them to do so.

For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android) and subscribe with Alexa.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Made in the Stateline

More Made in the Stateline

Education Matters

More Education Matters

Behind the Badge

More Behind the Badge

Stateline Strong

More Stateline Strong

Trending Stories