ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Swedish American Hospital held an anniversary party on Thursday for its four legged volunteers.
The Caring Canines program started in 2010.
The dogs are used to comfort patients, visitors and staff during their hospital stay.
“Often, you’ll see the patients and staff relax. They’ll take a deep, soothing breath, and you realize that you’re giving the patient a little normalcy in their world of being here at the hospital,” said the program’s coordinator, Claudia Aschebrenner.
At today’s party, there were treats for the therapy dogs and their human partners.
Caring Canines started with five dogs. Nine years later, there are now twenty-one.
- One man dead, one in critical condition after overnight crash in Beloit
- GOP senator to introduce bill reimbursing parents $800 for remote learning expenses
- CDC issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded coronavirus risk map
- Can a Supreme Court vacancy be filled during election year?
- ‘Glory Days’: East 1974 State Champions