ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Some patients staying at SwedishAmerican hospital received a Valentine’s Day visit from the Caring Canines.
The therapy dogs dressed up for the occasion, as some of the patients and staff came out to greet the pups and give them some love.
Program coordinator Claudia Aschbrenner said just petting the dogs can lower a patient’s blood pressure and help alleviate pain.
But most of all, she says, the dogs help lighten the mood.
“You just see their whole body relax,” Aschbrenner said. “They can take a moment to maybe forget why they’re here in the hospital, a moment of normalcy in their life.”
Three dogs came out for the Valentine’s Day visit.
- LIVE: Verdict in Chauvin trial incoming
- Michigan father angry, moves schools after teacher cuts biracial daughter’s hair
- Rattlesnake bites California man who tried to pick it up with BBQ tongs
- ICU bed availability remains low in Region 1
- 1 dead, 2 injured in New York supermarket shooting; police searching for suspect