ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Some patients staying at SwedishAmerican hospital received a Valentine’s Day visit from the Caring Canines.
The therapy dogs dressed up for the occasion, as some of the patients and staff came out to greet the pups and give them some love.
Program coordinator Claudia Aschbrenner said just petting the dogs can lower a patient’s blood pressure and help alleviate pain.
But most of all, she says, the dogs help lighten the mood.
“You just see their whole body relax,” Aschbrenner said. “They can take a moment to maybe forget why they’re here in the hospital, a moment of normalcy in their life.”
Three dogs came out for the Valentine’s Day visit.
- Rockford area basketball scores for Tuesday, February 18
- Rod Blagojevich speaks at Denver airport prior to flight home
- Billion Dollar Disasters on the Rise as Climate Change Continues
- Historic Freeport Tabernacle to be demolished, city leaders again decide
- Nurses needed at 911 call centers, says Rockford Fire Dept.