MACHESNEY PARK, Ill. (WTVO) — The Red Cross often steps in to help those affected by fires.
The non-profit responds to three to four fires in Northern Illinois every day.
It also works to make sure homeowners are prepared for the worst.
To stay safe The Red Cross suggests families create a fire escape plan, and smoke detectors are also critical.
Saturday, October 26th, the Red Cross will be in Machesney Park, and volunteers will install free smoke detectors for residents.
It’s a service the non-profit provides year round.
To take part, you need to register at this link.
- Steve Freeman: Making people smile at Rockford Public Library for nearly 20 years
- Victoria’s Secret cancels annual fashion show
- Veterans group ensures elderly stateline vets remembered at Christmas
- Illinois Health Department says: Don’t take antibiotics for the flu
- Simone Biles, record-breaking gymnast, earns title of 2019 Female Olympic Athlete of the Year