(WTVO) — Semi-trailer driver Craig Dittmar has pleaded guilty to Reckless Homicide charges stemming from the accident that took the life of Illinois State Trooper Brooke Jones-Story on March 28th, 2019.
The 56-year-old enters a guilty plea to one count of Reckless Homicide and one count of Safety Regulations Violations that resulted in Death.
The 12-year-veteran of the Illinois State Police was killed when a semi-trailer struck her and her squad car as she was inspecting another semi on US 20 near Freeport.
According to the Illinois State Police, Trooper Brooke Jones-Story was inspecting a semi on US 20 westbound, just west of Illinois Route 75 when, at 12:20 p.m, she was struck while outside of her squad car.
Trooper Jones-Story was only 34.
Dittmar is scheduled to be sentenced in February.
- IceHogs ready to speed into their season while navigating COVID protocols
- Kenny Strawbridge’s heroic hoop leads to conference award
- Pot taxes to fund violence prevention, prisoner re-entry programs
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- One month after Don Carter Lanes shooting, 14-year-old survivor hopes to use his story to help others