JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) ─Two people are hurt after a fire broke out in a residential home from a possible explosion.
The Janesville Fire Department responded to 706 Hawthorne Ave. at 9:15 p.m. on Monday, May 25, after neighbors reported that the house was fully engulfed in flames. Officials say they found one side of the duplex ablaze at their arrival.
Fire crews transported two people from the residence. One has minor injuries while the other is in serious condition with severe burns. The tenant from the other half of the duplex was not injured and is staying with family in town.
Officials say one tenant had smelled gas for some time before another tenant lit a cigarette, sparking the explosion.
The fire was contained to one unit and completely extinguished after the energy company Alliant turned off the gas. The house suffered $120,000 in damages.
The investigation is ongoing.
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Iowa teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- Boone County Sheriff’s Department says farewell to fallen K9 Loki