ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police announce a victim in a Tuesday double shooting has died.
The 30-year-old man, who was in critical condition, died Thursday. Investigators have not identified the man.
Rockford Police announced Thursday morning the arrest of 28-year-old Jamie Pearson as a suspect in the shooting which took place on Tuesday near downtown.
Rockford Police responded to a shooting that took place Tuesday afternoon at 2:40 p.m. near E. State Street and 6th street.
Police say shots were fired between two vehicles as they were driving down 6th Street.
Detectives with the Violent Crimes Unit and Gangs Unit allegedly learned that Pearson was a occupant in a black car that fired rounds at the victims’ car.
Two people, one 30-year-old male and one 30-year-old female, were in a blue car as the were struck by gunfire. Police said the woman was treated and released from a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say Pearson was arrested in a SWAT operation in the 3500 block of Pheasant Run, where he was taken into custody without incident.
Pearson was charged with two counts of Attempted First Degree Murder and Aggravated Battery with a Firearm. Additional charges are pending review with the Winnebago County State’s Attorney’s office.
Eyewitness News looked into Pearson’s criminal past. According to Winnebago County court records, he’s pleaded guilty to multiple felonies since 2008. Those convictions include aggravated battery, battery causing bodily harm, robbery, and a weapons violation.
- LIVE: Lightfoot announces ‘business curfew’ in Chicago as COVID-19 cases rise
- VIDEO: Texas man sprays woman with water during Black Lives Matter argument with neighbor
- Man arrested in Oregon sentenced to 60 months in prison for re-entering US after being deported
- Illinois reports highest single-day record with 4,942 new COVID-19 cases Thursday
- Illinois starts planning for COVID-19 vaccine as cases surge