ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Stateline soldier preparing to deploy overseas received a heartfelt surprise Sunday afternoon. Private First Class (PFC) Austin Henning was honored by family and friends during a drive-by send-off.
At the end of the month, the soldier will ship out to the Middle East for one year. Henning’s mom wanted to surprise him, since this will be his first deployment with the US Army.
“It’s going to be hard with him gone, and especially with him going overseas, that makes it even ramped up a little bit further. But we’re proud of what he’s doing and we’re proud of all he’s accomplishing. Yeah, just very proud,” Nikki Carter said.
Dozens of cars drove by to wish the soldier well–including some active military members and veterans.
- Rivets held to one hit on an opening night loss to the La Crosse Loggers
- Health officials hope people are thoughtful about virus risks ahead of July 4th weekend
- Tips for AC units that could save you big time
- Frequent bus passenger buys ice cream for RMTD workers
- Rockford Art Museum to re-open on Monday