The day after Rockford’s City Council approved plans for the painting of downtown murals, we now know where they will be created.
The “Creative: Transformational Art” mural festival will take place next month.
Over the course of the five day festival, eight artists will work with teams to create their large pieces of art. Each day will feature a block party with DJs and food trucks at the site of each mural.
The festival is being made possible by a $91,000 grant from the Illinois Department of Commerces’ Office of Tourism.
Mayor Tom McNamara says he’s excited about the expected impact of the artwork on the city.
“The arts do so much. They help entrepreneurs. They help the creative class. They provide an income, but they also do something really special that you can’t quantify. It provides a tremendous sense of pride to the citizens in Rockford,” he said.
MURAL LOCATIONS AND ARTISTS
1. Lucette Holistic Salon and Boutique, 508 E. State Street
Artist: Molly Z, Chicago, http://www.mollyz.net
2. The Symbols, 316 W. State Street
Artist: Yulia Avgustinovich, Denver, www.Yulia-Art.com
3. Wired Café Alley, 416 E. State Street
Artist: Jenny M. Mathews, Rockford, https://www.instagram.com/jenny1396/
4. Lower Jefferson Street (under bridge approach on east side of Rock River), 299 N. Madison Street
Artists: Lisa Frost and Libbie Frost, Rockford, https://www.lisafrost.com
5. Rockford Orthopedic Appliance, 422 E. State Street
Artist: Chris Silva, Chicago, https://chrissilva.com/
6. Urban Equities, 114 N. First Street (visible from 324 E. State. Street)
Artist: Corey Barksdale, Atlanta, http://coreybarksdale.org/
7. Chocolat by Daniel, 211 E. State Street
Artist: Jenny Roesel Ustick, Cincinnati, https://www.jennyroeselustick.com/
8. Makers Space, 203 N. Church Street
Artist: Brett Whitacre, Sycamore, https://www.instagram.com/brettwhitacreart/?hl=en