ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police responded to the boat docks at Riverview Ice House, 324 N. Madison St, in reference to a Rockford Fire call, around 7:15 a.m. Saturday morning.
According to authorities, upon arrival officers learned a 20-year-old male stole a boat that was docked behind Rock River Towers, 913 N. Main St.
The suspect had then drifted down the Rock River, but then was stopped short of the Fordham Dam by buoys. The boat was inoperable, officials said.
According to Rockford Fire, a fisherman heard cries for help and called 911.
Rockford Fire responded and was able to safely remove the man from the river.
He was then transported to a local hospital for evaluation, officials said.
20-year-old Juan Gomez was charged with auto theft, criminal trespassing and criminal damage to property.
- Coroner: Body found in Rock River identified as missing Janesville girl
- Shedd Aquarium reopens Friday with new safety precautions in place
- NFL to play Black anthem before national anthem Week 1
- Herman Cain hospitalized with COVID-19 after attending Trump rally
- Woman charged with helping Illinois man murder missing Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen