ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police responded to the boat docks at Riverview Ice House, 324 N. Madison St, in reference to a Rockford Fire call, around 7:15 a.m. Saturday morning.
According to authorities, upon arrival officers learned a 20-year-old male stole a boat that was docked behind Rock River Towers, 913 N. Main St.
The suspect had then drifted down the Rock River, but then was stopped short of the Fordham Dam by buoys. The boat was inoperable, officials said.
According to Rockford Fire, a fisherman heard cries for help and called 911.
Rockford Fire responded and was able to safely remove the man from the river.
He was then transported to a local hospital for evaluation, officials said.
20-year-old Juan Gomez was charged with auto theft, criminal trespassing and criminal damage to property.
- Steve Freeman: Making people smile at Rockford Public Library for nearly 20 years
- Victoria’s Secret cancels annual fashion show
- Veterans group ensures elderly stateline vets remembered at Christmas
- Illinois Health Department says: Don’t take antibiotics for the flu
- Simone Biles, record-breaking gymnast, earns title of 2019 Female Olympic Athlete of the Year