Man loses his arm after getting flesh-eating bacteria from eating sushi

News
Capture_1535574404837.JPG

A South Korean man had his left forearm amputated after developing a fever and excruciating pain in his hand hours after eating raw fish. 

The unnamed patient had a history of Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and was facing end-stage renal disease, developed large blisters on the palm of his left hand which quickly spread.\

In a case report published in the “New England Journal of Medicine ” doctors performed emergency surgery on the patient but the skin lesions developed into ulcers and the man’s left forearm had to be amputated twenty-five days after he first visited the hospital. 

Tests revealed the man’s hand was infected with a type of bacteria found in seawater, which is in the same family that causes cholera. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates this bacteria causes eight thousand illnesses and kills one hundred people in the United States every year.
 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.